Re: Linux 3.0 change listings - Wonderful World of Linux 3.0

From: Calvin Walton
Date: Wed Jun 01 2011 - 13:47:20 EST

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 22:13 +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 01:22:49AM -0400, Joe Pranevich wrote:
> > Mike,
> >
> > Thank you. I appreciate the comments and the corrections. It was a
> > marathon weekend and yes, I missed some obvious typos. Thanks.
> >
> I'd say that in general, almost all of the features you're announcing as
> "new" will make unaware people think that older versions did not have
> those features, which is quite misleading. Linus took great care to say
> that 3.0-rc1 had very few changes, it can be a bit confusing to see a
> post pretending it to be a revolutionary new kernel.
>
> Probably that you should more clearly say that all those features were
> progressively added in all 2.6 releases, otherwise I'm already expecting
> to see a lot of idiocies posted in journals.

Perhaps a simple change of the title and introduction would handle
clearing this up. Instead of presenting it as a "What's new in Linux
3.0" article (which it is not, or it would be a lot shorter!), why not
call it what it actually is: "A Retrospective of the Linux 2.6 era"?

--
Calvin Walton <calvin.walton@xxxxxxxxxx>