Re: [kernel.org users] Turning off the incremental diff robot

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Tue May 31 2011 - 16:04:22 EST

On Tuesday 31 May 2011 21:43:59 Pavel Machek wrote:
> > With the v3.0 name change I was looking over what might break, and I'm
> > seriously considering turning off the incremental diff robot on
> > kernel.org. It's not clear to me that it is actually useful anymore,
> > with git and all.

Are you talking about just ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/*/incr/
or also about ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-* and
Changelog-*?

I can see reasons to keep the latter, but not necessarily the former.

> > Do anyone actually use these anymore?
>
> Yes.
>
> Usecase one is zaurus, which is just not powerful enough for git, and
> usecase two are companies that only work with releases... ketchup is
> very useful for both.

For usecase one, is it possible to replace the download links with
links into http://git.kernel.org/ ?

For usecase two, why wouldn't those be able to just download the entire
release tarball? At least, I would expect that there is no need for
the small incremental patches in their case, only for the full
inter-release patches.

Arnd