Re: [rfc] Ignore Fsync Calls in Laptop_Mode

From: david
Date: Tue May 31 2011 - 14:24:03 EST

On Tue, 31 May 2011, D. Jansen wrote:

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:03 AM, Ted Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:24:03PM +0200, D. Jansen wrote:
do you really have so many fsync's going on that the disk spins up so much
that you would gain 10-20% battery life?

Yes. Every autosave in LibreOffice triggers one. And I want autosave,
but I want them in memory, not on disk.

What on *heck* good does an autosave to memory do? ÂAre you afraid
your X server is going to go poof, or OpenOffice is going to crash on
you?
Unfortunately, yes. This happens to me regularly, e.g. roughly every
10th resume. It's a poulsbo system. ;)
Another reason is a Java extension that makes it crash happy.
(Please don't tell me now that the real fix is to fix poulsbo...)

I can't remember the last time this has happened to me. ÂIt's
typically a system crash or a power loss that causes me to lose an
OpenOffice session.

Well, good for you! Power loss didn't ever occur to me on the other
hand, at least not on my netbook.

failure to resume is effectivly power loss. a autosave to ram would be lost, just like with a power loss or system crash.

David Lang