Re: Linux 3.0-rc1

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Tue May 31 2011 - 06:34:39 EST

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 03:59:38PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> So a bit of bike shedding :-)

Here's where I store my bike.

> Why don't we just keep the 3 digits ? You release 3.x.0 and Greg
> increments the last one ?
>
> That means existing tools don't break, and number of digits doesn't
> change all the time anymore, less likely to get wrong...

I think the problem with that is that it's still going to break scripts.
The changes in Greg's repo is a fork of Linus's kernel. Thus 3.0.1 will
not be an incremental step into 3.1.0. We wont be having patches that
take us from 3.0.1 to 3.1.0, so things like ketchup will break when it
tries to do such a thing without changing the way it currently works.

If we need to change ketchup (and other scripts) to handle this
difference, might as well do it correctly.

-- Steve