Re: Linux 3.0-rc1

From: david
Date: Mon May 30 2011 - 18:49:07 EST

On Mon, 30 May 2011, Mariusz Kozlowski wrote:

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 06:47:57PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

[...]

However, I did *not* rename the git tree, because that would just be a
huge inconvenience to git users, so it's still in the same old place
and yes, that means that my git tree is still called "linux-2.6.git"
on kernel.org. But it has the v3.0-rc1 tag in it.

I'll probably add a symlink or something, if people really hate being
reminded about our long history with the "2.6" numbering. But that
won't be until closer to the real release, methinks.

You could consider freezing linux-2.6.git repository and creating new
linux-3.git repository that would serve for a couple of years until
linux-4.git. At the same time development history could be dropped between
trees so that inital clones are lighter. Anyone interested in history
can download idx/pack from linux-2.6.git repo and attach it using gratf
point[1] anyway.

Pros:
- obvious naming scheme wrt repository contents
- smaller initial clone
- new clean tag namespace

Cons:
- broken bisection for some time
- impaired log/blame/whatchanged and friends

in addition won't there be problems merging in work done on the old tree? (since there would be no common history)

everyone would need to re-clone their repository (and attaching history wouldn't help this)

there are probably others.

frankly I don't see any real benifits from the Pros you list. the initial clone is already rather small, it probably won't make that big a difference to throw away several years of history.

David Lang