Re: IrDA driver fails on PXA255

From: David Rientjes
Date: Sun May 29 2011 - 17:19:50 EST

On Sun, 29 May 2011, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> > arm, pxa2xx: enable DMA support for pxa2xx IRDA interface
> >
> > The pxa2xx-ir driver allocates with GFP_DMA, so it must always have
> > ZONE_DMA.
>
> Wrong way. If there's no restrictions, drivers shouldn't be using
> GFP_DMA. For the majority of SoCs, that's the case.

That's great, but before you can actually determine what requires DMA for
this driver and what doesn't, we need something for this merge window (and
backported to -stable) so that users aren't forced to go through and
enable CONFIG_ZONE_DMA on their own .config.

Is there a downside to enabling CONFIG_ZONE_DMA for all configs that
compile this driver until a better solution can be found?