Re: [GIT PULL 0/5] perf/urgent fixes

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Sun May 29 2011 - 10:13:35 EST

Em Sat, May 28, 2011 at 11:41:50AM +0200, Ingo Molnar escreveu:
> The various variations of kptr_restrict now work fine AFAICS - will
> send the fixes to Linus today.
>
> One (very) small issue i noticed, if the user only samples user-space
> events then i still get the warning:
>
> aldebaran:~> perf record -e cycles:upp sleep 1
> WARNING: Kernel address maps (/proc/{kallsyms,modules}) are restricted,
>
> although perf does not record any kernel samples so kptr_restrict is
> irrelevant in this case.

I'll have that fixed too, oversight. We really should avoid confusing
messages, and this one, as you mention, seems just noise as I still have
to look again how vsyscall symbols get resolved, IIRC they need a kernel
symtab, but then, if that is the case, the message should be changed
accordingly.

- Arnaldo