Re: [tip:perf/urgent] perf symbols: Handle /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri May 27 2011 - 11:52:41 EST

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 1:35 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think the biggest problem is that it is yelling at us even when i'm
> root - and root can access all the pointer values just fine:

Instead of looking at the kptr_restrict file, please just look at the
addresses in the kallsyms file, and if they are all zero, you know
that it's not a usable kallsyms file (and you can pretty much assume
that it's due to kptr_restrict).

So I think the whole symbol__read_kptr_restrict() thing is just
pointless. Don't do it.

Linus