Re: [GIT PULL] oprofile fixes for v2.6.40

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri May 27 2011 - 08:23:18 EST

* Robert Richter <robert.richter@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Robert Richter (1):
> oprofile, x86: Enable preemption during pci device setup in IBS init

I'm wondering about this bit, as from a preempt_enable()/disable()
pattern POV it looks bogus. It does:

preempt_disable();
for (offset = 1; offset < APIC_EILVT_NR_MAX; offset++) {
if (get_eilvt(offset))
break;
}
preempt_enable();

ret = setup_ibs_ctl(offset);

So whatever condition it established at the get_eilvt() stage might
not be valid at the setup_ibs_ctl() point: we might be on a different
CPU.

Or are the IBS MSRs (which get twiddled in get_eilvt() absolutely
symmetric across all CPUs, thus making this a preempt invariant
thing? In that case we'd at least need a big fat comment in the code
as it's not obvious at all ...

But i really do not see how this can work. get_eilvt() twiddles the
APIC LVT of this current CPU. Does IBS only activate on a single CPU?
How will this LVT entry be cleared on deinit?

Mysteries, mysteries!

Thanks,

Ingo