Re: no sound in current -git

From: Justin P. Mattock
Date: Thu May 26 2011 - 21:35:18 EST

On 05/26/2011 11:38 AM, Hugh Dickins wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Justin P. Mattock
<justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 05/25/2011 10:11 PM, Dave Jones wrote:

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 12:33:38AM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:

> > sound over here is out as well on a macbook pro. seems gnome shell
> > didn't like whats being merged with the current Mainline i.g. no
sound
> > bluetooth applet missing. will bisect when I get a chance.
>
> Maybe it was this that just got merged.. (building now)
>
> commit 4db70f73e56961b9bcdfd0c36c62847a18b7dbb5
> Author: Eric Paris<eparis@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed May 25 19:49:18 2011 -0700
>
> tmpfs: fix XATTR N overriding POSIX_ACL Y

Yep. That fixes sound for me.
Sorry for the false alarm Takashi!

Dave

hmm.. pulled and noticed the above with git log, then did git revert for the
above, built, but still no sound. will do a bisect in the morning or later
on.

That commit was the fix, not the origin of the bug, so reverting it
was not the right thing to do!

But it's only a fix if your .config has not yet been messed up (with
CONFIG_TMPFS_XATTR and CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL unset, though used
somewhere for sound).

So, just delete the CONFIG_TMPFS_XATTR and CONFIG_TMPFS_POSIX_ACL
lines from your .config (perhaps you don't even get an ACL line if the
XATTR is not set, I forget) and run "make oldconfig", this time
choosing Y.

If this was your sound problem too, then the rebuilt kernel should fix it.

Apologies for inflicting this on people: Linus spotted it and got it
fixed up a.s.a.p so it only would only affect those who pulled a tree
yesterday.

Hugh

alright.. sound is up and running over here with the latest. seems I needed to do a git clean -fx and rebuild for this to work correctly.

cheers,

Justin P, Mattock