Re: (Short?) merge window reminder

From: Sérgio Basto
Date: Thu May 26 2011 - 12:20:51 EST

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 11:07 -0400, jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Can we drop most of MCA, EISA and ISA bus if we are going to have a
> big
> > version change ? A driver spring clean is much overdue and it's all
> in
> > git in case someone wishes to sneak out at midnight and bring some
> crawly
> > horror back from the dead.
>
> 2.8 could mark the beginning of the great cleanup
> --- work out the details of what needs to be cleaned and set a goal
> --- remove old buses/driver, switch to device tree, graphics, 32/64
> merges, etc
> 3.0 would mark its completion

Here it go my opinion,
Many people ask for beginning of 2.7 kernel series which will end on
2.8, by old numeration.
Kernel 2.8 will mainly a major clean up, of support of the very old
hardware, like "math co-processor" at only exist in 386 and before
Pentium. If some one want put Linux on this very old hardware should use
kernel 2.2.
However a new numeration of kernel is independent of this, and I agree
with new numeration of kernel on drop a number.
Last but not least, I would like to see marked a hiper stable kernel ,
which will be used by Debian guys. Debian guys tend to stop in a kernel
which is not the best one, so let we choose for them what is the stable
of stables .

Best regards,
--
SÃrgio M. B.