[PERF RESULTS] virtio and vhost-net performance enhancements

From: Krishna Kumar2
Date: Thu May 26 2011 - 11:29:28 EST

"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 05/20/2011 04:40:07 AM:

> OK, here is the large patchset that implements the virtio spec update
> that I sent earlier (the spec itself needs a minor update, will send
> that out too next week, but I think we are on the same page here
> already). It supercedes the PUBLISH_USED_IDX patches I sent
> out earlier.

I was able to get this tested by applying the v2 patches
to git-next tree (somehow MST's git tree hung on my guest
which never got resolved). Testing was from Guest -> Remote
node, using an ixgbe 10g card. The test results are
*excellent* (table: #netperf sesssions, BW% improvement,
SD% improvement, CPU% improvement):

___________________________________
512 byte I/O
# BW% SD% CPU%
____________________________________
1 151.6 -65.1 -10.7
2 180.6 -66.6 -6.4
4 15.5 -35.8 -26.1
8 1.8 -28.4 -26.7
16 3.1 -29.0 -26.5
32 1.1 -27.4 -27.5
64 3.8 -30.9 -26.7
96 5.4 -21.7 -24.2
128 5.7 -24.4 -25.5
____________________________________
BW: 16.6% SD: -24.6% CPU: -25.5%

____________________________________
1K I/O
# BW% SD% CPU%
____________________________________
1 233.9 -76.5 -18.0
2 112.2 -64.0 -23.2
4 9.2 -31.6 -26.1
8 -1.7 -26.8 -30.3
16 3.5 -31.5 -30.6
32 4.8 -25.2 -30.5
64 5.7 -31.0 -28.9
96 5.3 -32.2 -31.7
128 4.6 -38.2 -33.6
____________________________________
BW: 16.4% SD: -35.% CPU: -31.5%

____________________________________
16K I/O
# BW% SD% CPU%
____________________________________
1 18.8 -27.2 -18.3
2 14.8 -36.7 -27.7
4 12.7 -45.2 -38.1
8 4.4 -56.4 -54.4
16 4.8 -38.3 -36.1
32 0 78.0 79.2
64 3.8 -38.1 -37.5
96 7.3 -35.2 -31.1
128 3.4 -31.1 -32.1
BW: 7.6% SD: -30.1% CPU: -23.7%

I plan to run some more tests tomorrow. Please let
me know if any other scenario will help.

Thanks,

- KK