Re: UNIX Compatibility

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Thu May 26 2011 - 08:08:15 EST

On Thu, 26 May 2011 13:30:39 +0200, Bernd Petrovitsch said:

> Or take the "unlink a directory gives EPERM" example: why is it
> specified with an errno that indicates that the user is not allowed to
> remove it (and not that the sys-call is the wrong one).

Because on some old Unix's, it wasn't the wrong syscall...

RATIONALE

Unlinking a directory is restricted to the superuser in many historical
implementations for reasons given in link() (see also rename()).

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/unlink.html

I've encountered at least one system (admittedly 20+ years ago), where
unlink("./") actually did work. Took me a while to correlate the weird fsck's
at reboots to the program that tried to remove './$A' when $A was unset...