In progress: "Wonderful World of Linux 2.8"

From: Joe Pranevich
Date: Wed May 25 2011 - 22:01:58 EST

Friendly Kernel Folks,

I admit that I haven't been a regular contributor here in many years,
but with the recent announcement of the imminence of a 2.8/3.0
release, I am coming out of the woodwork to put together another
"Wonderful World of Linux" document. I produced these documents (of
varying quality, now that I look back on them) for Linux 2.2, 2.4, and
2.6 and they were well-read and translated into many languages. Tesla
Gwynne (Alan's wife) once called them "as traditional as the holy
penguin pee" and so I feel utterly compelled to pick up the keyboard
again.

I'm writing at light speed, trying to get a reasonable draft out
before Linus makes the switch, and I expect to have a draft ready by
the end of the weekend. However, I'm likely to miss something in my
haste. (I'm rooting through changelogs, the config menus, file
additions, etc.) If there is something which you feel is absolutely
cool that I'm liable to miss, please don't hesitate to drop me a line
at this address. This will include changes since 2.6.0, with some
great amount of explanation right at the top that these have actually
been available in the stable tree for some time.

Now, back to writing... 7 years is a long time.

Joe