Re: ramoops: is using platform_drivers correct?

From: AmÃrico Wang
Date: Wed May 25 2011 - 09:24:58 EST

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:03 AM, Marco Stornelli
<marco.stornelli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Il 23/05/2011 15:27, Stevie Trujillo ha scritto:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> ramoops (drivers/char/ramoops.c) is for "all" computers right? When I try
>
> Yes, or at least was my intention. It's true that this drivers is useful
> when you use an NVRAM, this is typical for the embedded world where the
> platform driver approach is more diffused. Sure at this point the module
> parameters are not useful. In addition the platform data struct doesn't
> define a way to select if to dump only oops. At the end I think a patch it's
> needed here. I have to look at the code to see if it's possible to use the
> platform data OR module parameters. I'll submit a patch.

But we have the following code:

if (reason != KMSG_DUMP_OOPS &&
reason != KMSG_DUMP_PANIC &&
reason != KMSG_DUMP_KEXEC)
return;

which is what you meant by saying "only oops" ?

I still don't think that is a correct way to tell people not to use
ramoops, we need to document this rather than prevent using
it in the code.

Thanks.