Re: (Short?) merge window reminder

From: Kasper Dupont
Date: Wed May 25 2011 - 08:34:03 EST

On 24/05/11 21.13, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> Well, if we're looking at ELF-sized ABI changes, how about 3.0 be the
> release where we re-sync the syscall numbers on all the archs? ;)

If you want to do that I think the best way to do it is to
have both the old and the new numbers co-exist through the
3.x series and the old ones go away in 4.0.

You'd first have to find the highest number currently
assigned and then add a bit of safety margin to decide on
a starting point for the new numbers.

Should architecture dependent system calls be assigned
from a separate interval where they could overlap between
architectures? Or should they be assigned from the same
sequence as other calls and return -ENOSYS on other
architectures than the one they were targeted for?

Or was it all a joke, and you don't actually want that
cleanup to happen because of too much breakage?

--
Kasper Dupont -- Rigtige mænd skriver deres egne backupprogrammer
#define _(_)"d.%.4s%."_"2s" /* This is my email address */