Re: [GIT PULL] Namespace file descriptors for 2.6.40

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue May 24 2011 - 20:36:09 EST

On Tue, 24 May 2011 09:16:28 +0200, Ingo Molnar said:
> * Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > My gut feel says we should really implement an
> > include/asm-generic/unistd-common.h to include all new system calls.
> >
> > That way there would be only one file to touch instead of 50. Certainly it
> > works for include/asm-generic/unistd.h for the architectures that use it.
> > And all we really need is just a little abstraction on that concept.
>
> I suppose that could be tried, although in practice it would probably be
> somewhat complex due to the various compat syscall handling differences.

Can somebody fill us newcomers in on the arch-aeology of why some syscalls have
different numbers on different archs? I know it's partially because some simply
didn't implement some syscalls so there were numbering mismatches, but would it
have been *that* hard to wire all of those skipped syscalls up to one stub
'return -ENOSYS'?