Re: [GIT PULL] Start of removal of legacy parallel interfaces for 3.0

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue May 24 2011 - 14:44:43 EST

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Jens Axboe <jaxboe@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With the 3.0 kernel approaching, now is a great time to get rid of some
> legacy bagage. And what better part to start with than the old IDE code.
> Parallel interfaces are so 1990's, we can't be seen with those on a
> fancy new kernel version.

No.

Guys. Really.

Any version numbering change is *not* an excuse to drop any old stuff,
or do anything new and exciting.

If the IDE maintainer eventually decides that there really are zero
users, that's a different thing, and will be independent of any
version number change. Dropping truly dead code is always welcome,
regardless of anything else. But it needs to be truly dead, not
"wouldn't it be nice if we didn't carry this any more".

Linus