Re: [bloat] Measuring header file bloat effects on kernel buildperformance: a more than 2x slowdown ...

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 23 2011 - 12:08:05 EST

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:09 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've attached a totally hacky patch that removes all the big #include's from
> kernel/pid.c and includes all structure and API definitions explicitly.

Hmm.

A less hacky patch might be to split up "sched.h" into multiple
smaller things and at least get *part* of the way.

A lot of things want "struct task_struct" (and in some cases
thread_info, but that's already split).

Much fewer care about the signal stuff.

And many things probably don't even need the task_struct definition,
and might be perfectly happy with just function calls rather than
having intimate knowledge of the structure layout and an inline
function.

Linus