Re: [GIT PULL rcu/next] fixes and breakup of memory-barrier-decreasepatch

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun May 22 2011 - 05:05:04 EST

* Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I mean, without Frederic's patch we are getting very long hangs due to the
> > barrier patch, right?
>
> Yes. The reason we are seeing these hangs is that HARDIRQ_ENTER() invoked
> irq_enter(), which calls rcu_irq_enter() but that the matching HARDIRQ_EXIT()
> invoked __irq_exit(), which does not call rcu_irq_exit(). This resulted in
> calls to rcu_irq_enter() that were not balanced by matching calls to
> rcu_irq_exit(). Therefore, after these tests completed, RCU's dyntick-idle
> nesting count was a large number, which caused RCU to conclude that the
> affected CPU was not in dyntick-idle mode when in fact it was.
>
> RCU would therefore incorrectly wait for this dyntick-idle CPU.
>
> With Frederic's patch, these tests don't ever call either rcu_irq_enter() or
> rcu_irq_exit(), which works because the CPU running the test is already
> marked as not being in dyntick-idle mode.
>
> So, with Frederic's patch, the rcu_irq_enter() and rcu_irq_exit() calls are
> balanced and things work.
>
> The reason that the imbalance was not noticed before the barrier patch was
> applied is that the old implementation of rcu_enter_nohz() ignored the
> nesting depth. This could still result in delays, but much shorter ones.
> Whenever there was a delay, RCU would IPI the CPU with the unbalanced nesting
> level, which would eventually result in rcu_enter_nohz() being called, which
> in turn would force RCU to see that the CPU was in dyntick-idle mode.
>
> Hmmm... I should add this line of reasoning to one of the commit logs,
> shouldn't I? (Added it. Which of course invalidates my pull request.)

Well, the thing i was missing from the tree was Frederic's fix patch. Or was
that included in one of the commits?

I mean, if we just revert the revert, we reintroduce the delay, no matter who
is to blame - not good! :-)

> > Even if the barrier patch is not to blame - somehow it still managed to
> > produce these hangs - and we do not understand it yet.
>
> >From Yinghai's message https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/12/465, I believe
> that the residual delay he is seeing is not due to the barrier patch,
> but rather due to a26ac2455 (move TREE_RCU from softirq to kthrea).
>
> More on this below.

Ok - we can treat that regression differently. Also, that seems like a much
shorter delay, correct? The delays fixed by Frederic's patch were huge (i think
i saw a 1 hour delay once) - they were essentially not delays but hangs.

Thanks,

Ingo