Re: Kernel falls apart under light memory pressure (i.e. linkingvmlinux)

From: KOSAKI Motohiro
Date: Thu May 19 2011 - 23:12:23 EST

Right after that happened, I hit ctrl-c to kill test_mempressure.sh.
The system was OK until I typed sync, and then everything hung.

I'm really confused. shrink_inactive_list in
RECLAIM_MODE_LUMPYRECLAIM will call one of the isolate_pages functions
with ISOLATE_BOTH. The resulting list goes into shrink_page_list,
which does VM_BUG_ON(PageActive(page)).

How is that supposed to work?

Usually clear_active_flags() clear PG_active before calling shrink_page_list().

shrink_inactive_list()
isolate_pages_global()
update_isolated_counts()
clear_active_flags()