Re: [RFC 1/5] platform-drivers-x86: add support for Technologic Systems TS-5xxx detection

From: Vivien Didelot
Date: Wed May 04 2011 - 11:15:58 EST

Excerpts from Alan Cox's message of 2011-04-30 06:07:05 -0400:
> > +
> > +/**
> > + * ts_sbcinfo_detect() - detect the TS board
> > + * @sbcinfo: structure where to store the detected board's info.
> > + */
> > +static int ts_sbcinfo_detect(struct ts5xxx_sbcinfo *sbcinfo)
> > +{
> > + u8 temp;
> > + struct ts_sbc_config *sbc;
> > + int ret = 0;
> > +
> > + memset(sbcinfo, 0, sizeof(*sbcinfo));
> > +
> > + if (!request_region(IOADDR_SBCID, 4, "TS-SBC"))
> > + return -EBUSY;
> > +
> > + temp = inb(IOADDR_SBCID);
> > + /* If it is a 3x00 SBC only match against the first 3 bits */
> > + if (temp & 0x07)
> > + temp &= 0x07;
>
> So if this is compiled into a kernel we blindly inb this address and some
> platform just crashed on boot. Is this board like other embedded ones in
> that there is some safe way to check if its such a board first ?

It is possible to make a BIOS call (Int 15h / Function B000h) to get
board information, like the manufacturer ("TS"). It should be a safer
way to check if we are on a Technologic Systems board. a intcall(0x15,
&ireg, &oreg) should do the trick to check the platform, before checking
the SBC ID. What do you think?

Thanks,
Vivien.