Re: 2.6.39-rc5-git2 boot crashs

From: werner
Date: Wed May 04 2011 - 00:13:40 EST

The result of the test below is:

The big-file-zip / unzip / very-big-file-moving crashs returned

The sync error didn't return

after switching on CONFIG-X86_EXTENDED_PLATFORMS inclusive CONFIG_ELAN, and also let ON the RDC321X_WDT,
ELAN-CPUFREQ, CONFIG-SC500-CPUFREQ (BTREE switched off anyway).

Thus, the first problem (zip..) cames from switching on EXTENDED PLATFORMS etc , but the second (sync) comes from MISC-FILESYSTEMS of which a part incl logfs continued unchanged switched OFF, like also the (not-crashing) error message came from this.

As said, before was used a config (with EXTENDED_PLATFORMS etc OFF) which yesterday runned stable almost the whole day and didnt show any of the reported problems. But after this mail, for better security, I'll return to it and try to provoke a crash (unzipping bigger files etc) to reaffirm that its really stable.

Annexed are:

/ config used
/ The difference of that config to the previous stable one. The zip error should be caused by these differences
/ The difference of the previous stable config, to the initial everythingyes config. If this stable config was really stable, then all problems reported by me since 2.6.35-rc3 should be caused by these differences. (this file I sent already, it's for comparison, and as a summary)

W.Landgraf

=====================
I started already the compilation suggested before, ie let
CONFIG_MISC_FILESYSTEMS unchanged like it was at the last stable config, with logfs OFF,
but switching on CONFIG-X86_EXTENDED_PLATFORMS, and also let ON the RDC321X_WDT,
ELAN-CPUFREQ, CONFIG-SC500-CPUFREQ (BTREE switched off anyway).
Thus, with exception of the items switched off in MISC-FILESYSTEMS (incl. logfs),
it's the same like on my first everyyesconfig.

If the problems don't return, then the reason is anywhere in MISC-FILESYSTEMS, one
of the few features which I switched off now, inclusive logfs.

If the problems return, then they are because of the EXTENDED-PLATFORMS (incl. ELAN) or in one of the 3 items quoted above. However, then still the reported boot error
message can be because logfs.

After this is ready, I report about the results, and I do what you write below.

wl
---
Professional hosting for everyone - http://www.host.ru

3,4c3,4
< # Linux/i386 2.6.39-rc5-git2 Kernel Configuration
< # Fri Apr 29 15:48:26 2011
---
> # Linux/i386 2.6.39-rc5-git4 Kernel Configuration
> # Mon May 2 22:27:06 2011

279,283c279
< CONFIG_X86_EXTENDED_PLATFORM=y
< CONFIG_X86_ELAN=y
< # CONFIG_X86_MRST is not set
< CONFIG_X86_RDC321X=y
< # CONFIG_X86_32_NON_STANDARD is not set
---
> # CONFIG_X86_EXTENDED_PLATFORM is not set
297c293,318
< CONFIG_X86_INTERNODE_CACHE_SHIFT=4
---
> # CONFIG_M386 is not set
> # CONFIG_M486 is not set
> # CONFIG_M586 is not set
> # CONFIG_M586TSC is not set
> # CONFIG_M586MMX is not set
> CONFIG_M686=y
> # CONFIG_MPENTIUMII is not set
> # CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII is not set
> # CONFIG_MPENTIUMM is not set
> # CONFIG_MPENTIUM4 is not set
> # CONFIG_MK6 is not set
> # CONFIG_MK7 is not set
> # CONFIG_MK8 is not set
> # CONFIG_MCRUSOE is not set
> # CONFIG_MEFFICEON is not set
> # CONFIG_MWINCHIPC6 is not set
> # CONFIG_MWINCHIP3D is not set
> # CONFIG_MGEODEGX1 is not set
> # CONFIG_MGEODE_LX is not set
> # CONFIG_MCYRIXIII is not set
> # CONFIG_MVIAC3_2 is not set
> # CONFIG_MVIAC7 is not set
> # CONFIG_MCORE2 is not set
> # CONFIG_MATOM is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_GENERIC is not set
> CONFIG_X86_INTERNODE_CACHE_SHIFT=5
300c321
< CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=4
---
> CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=5
301a323
> # CONFIG_X86_PPRO_FENCE is not set
306,307c328,332
< CONFIG_X86_ALIGNMENT_16=y
< CONFIG_X86_MINIMUM_CPU_FAMILY=4
---
> CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
> CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
> CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG64=y
> CONFIG_X86_CMOV=y
> CONFIG_X86_MINIMUM_CPU_FAMILY=5

494,495d518
< CONFIG_ELAN_CPUFREQ=y
< CONFIG_SC520_CPUFREQ=y

3450d3472
< CONFIG_RDC321X_WDT=m

5801,5807c5823,5826
< CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_WRITEBUFFER=y
< CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_WBUF_VERIFY=y
< CONFIG_JFFS2_SUMMARY=y
< CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_XATTR=y
< CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
< CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_SECURITY=y
< CONFIG_JFFS2_COMPRESSION_OPTIONS=y
---
> # CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_WRITEBUFFER is not set
> # CONFIG_JFFS2_SUMMARY is not set
> # CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_XATTR is not set
> # CONFIG_JFFS2_COMPRESSION_OPTIONS is not set
5809c5828
< CONFIG_JFFS2_LZO=y
---
> # CONFIG_JFFS2_LZO is not set
5811,5815c5830
< CONFIG_JFFS2_RUBIN=y
< # CONFIG_JFFS2_CMODE_NONE is not set
< CONFIG_JFFS2_CMODE_PRIORITY=y
< # CONFIG_JFFS2_CMODE_SIZE is not set
< # CONFIG_JFFS2_CMODE_FAVOURLZO is not set
---
> # CONFIG_JFFS2_RUBIN is not set
5818c5833
< CONFIG_UBIFS_FS_ADVANCED_COMPR=y
---
> # CONFIG_UBIFS_FS_ADVANCED_COMPR is not set
5822c5837
< CONFIG_LOGFS=y
---
> # CONFIG_LOGFS is not set