Re: 2.6.38: rt2800usb: driver is crashing the kernel

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Mon May 02 2011 - 19:46:54 EST

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, Justin Piszcz wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, Larry Finger wrote:

I am trying a different driver now: rt2870sta
I've read a few reports this may be the 'proper' one to use.
So far so good, no lag or anything and I did not have to set power off
either.

Driver rtl2870sta is not the proper one to use. In fact, a patch to delete rt2860sta and rt2870sta from the kernel was queued yesterday, and they will be gone by the time 2.6.40 is released.

New firmware for rt2800usb was just accepted into the linux-firmware git tree. Please obtain a copy and try it.

Larry

Hi,

Just an update, this driver has been solid so far:
rt2870sta

With the Media Link 150 USB stick, not a single crash yet--
The rt2800usb driver is laggy and crashes the kernel (as of 2.6.38.x)--
Is there a possiblity to get rtl2870sta into the mainline?
It is the best wireless driver I've used for Linux with various usb wifi
adapters--

# uptime
19:44:28 up 4 days, 10:16, 2 users, load average: 1.51, 1.56, 1.25

Justin.