Re: [BUG] fatal hang untarring 90GB file, possibly writebackrelated.

From: James Bottomley
Date: Mon May 02 2011 - 16:05:10 EST

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 13:02 -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 11:31 -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, it's highly unlikely because that's a 2.6.39 artifact and the bug
> > > showed up in 2.6.38 ... I tried it just in case with no effect, so we
> > > know it isn't the cause.
> >
> > Actually, I tell a lie: it does't stop kswapd spinning on PREEMPT, but
> > it does seem to prevent non-PREEMPT from locking up totally (at least it
> > survives three back to back untar runs).
> >
> > It's probable it alters the memory pin conditions that cause the spin,
> > so it's masking the problem rather than fixing it.
>
> Confirmed ... it's just harder to reproduce with the hrtimers init fix.
> The problem definitely still exists (I had to load up the system more
> before doing the tar).
>
> This time I've caught kswapd in mem_cgroup_shrink_node_zone. sysrq-w
> doesn't complete for an unknown reason

As a follow on to this, there's a shrink_zone(0, ...) in the cgroup
path. This causes it to scan all memory exhaustively (generating quite
a lot of work). The comment above it implies it's some type of hack for
cgroup accounting, but reducing it to DEF_PRIORITY makes the hang go
away (verified on both 2.6.39-rc4 and 2.6.38.4). Note that I still get
soft lockups in kswapd0, but they no longer hang the box. I'll prepare
a patch for the next round of debate.

James