Re: linux-firmware tree

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Mon May 02 2011 - 15:38:23 EST

On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 19:57 +0100, Mike Waychison wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I'm trying to understand the purpose of the linux-firmware tree.
> Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but the only information
> about it I could find was your original post back in 2008:
> https://lwn.net/Articles/294308/
>
> Will the Linux kernel sources always continue to have the firmware
> blobs and the linux-firmware tree is only for those users of distros
> that strip the firmware out?

No, the legacy firmware images from the kernel tree are going to be
removed. They were only kept for backward compatibility.

The linux-firmware tree has a lot of things that were never included in
the kernel source; no *new* firmware images are being (or at least
should be) added to the kernel source itself.

Everyone should be using the linux-firmware tree by now.

--
dwmw2