Re: rtlwifi: regression 39-rc5 (rtl8192ce)

From: Larry Finger
Date: Mon May 02 2011 - 10:49:22 EST

On 05/02/2011 09:26 AM, Shawn Nock wrote:
Larry Finger<Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On 05/01/2011 12:59 PM, Shawn Nock wrote:
During heavy network traffic (esp. flash video) I see the attached
NULL pointer dereference in 2.6.39-rc5 on an IBM Thinkpad
x120e. Immediately afterward a "scheduling while atomic" bug is
reported and the system becomes unresponsive. I am unable to produce
this problem in 2.6.38.4.
See attached backtrace and dmesg. Please let me know what I can
collect to make this problem easier to troubleshoot.

Could you also supply the instruction byte sequence for the oops? It
is the "Code:" line of the dump.

I had not been able to capture that, as the scheduler oops was triggered
during the call stack dump (before the Code line).

I think you are using a 32-bit system. Is that correct?

Correct.

Is there one URL that exposes this problem? If so, please sent that as
well.

It had been speedtest.net (which *used* to crash this all the
time). I've since re-configured the kernel to allow it to build faster
(fedora .config trimmed to remove a lot of the unneeded modules). I can
no longer trigger this BUG.

I originally thought that this may be because I enabled the 8192CU
driver, but clean kernel without it also doesn't trigger the bug. My new
hypothesis is that building the kernel for the AMD processor type was a
mistake (the only other significant change was that I went back to
Pentium Pro as the CPU target).

As far as I can tell this problem is resolved (20+ hours without issue,
less than 20 min previously) and probably due to GCC not being aware of
this (newish) AMD processor.

Sorry for the false alarm and thanks,

No problem. Let me know if it resurfaces again.

Larry