Re: re-enable Nehalem raw Offcore-Events support

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun May 01 2011 - 14:32:06 EST

* Vince Weaver <vweaver1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I spend a lot of time dealing with developers who use perf-counter related
> interfaces all the time. They complain to me *constantly* about the
> drawbacks of perf_events, because PAPI is one step up from the kernel.
>
> I try to get them to interact with the kernel people, but they won't. Do you
> know why? Because they feel like the perf_events developers are rude at
> best, unhelpful in general, and actively anti-anyone-not-using-perf.

Arnaldo, the maintainer of perf tooling (and with whom most users complaining
about perf would be interacting) is one of the most responsive maintainers and
developers i've ever seen. I have not seen him brush off a single user
bugreport or complaint, ever - let alone be 'unhelpful' or be anti-anyone.
Ditto for Peter.

They didnt even brush *you* off, ever.

Let me guess, you just made that argument up, right?

Ingo