Re: 2.6.39-rc5-git2 boot crashs

From: werner
Date: Sun May 01 2011 - 14:07:40 EST

Yes, my kernel compiling / packaging / lilo.conf-writing script always do this: it makes 3 manners for boot: normal/grafics, text, initrd; for this it makes an initrd too. See below. Normally this also works without any problem. This is necessary if someone want to make an installer. And just because of this, I compile plenty things inside vmlinuz , not as modules, because nowadays people have any kind of devices with touchpad, touchscreen etc. And, last night, I tested all these boot methods, but in all attempts happened that error, that it didnt find the boot device, and then crashs, more strange because there also is a bootwait option in the command line (see below) (because nowadays people often have installed my distro on an usb key, or on an eee pc just the starter is on the internel flash chip, and the system with root fs is on an usb harddisk what takes time to be discovered).

But, now, the 2nd compilation, I made with the slackware huge configuration. And this works !! It boots normally, and it also don't crash if unzipping big files. So you were right, to use a more little config, for find out better the reason. However, remember, at the end (until -rc20) also the everythingyes config should work, because this always was the case, and have to work because nowadays people have all kinds of computers, laptops, phones, coffe machines, washmachines etc etc running Linux and the distro kernel have to run ANYWAY on ANY DEVICE.

That successful slackware huge config is in the middle between the slackware smp config explained above which didnt boot, and between my normal everythingyes configuration which gave plenty problems. So, the differences to both sides can make it more easy to find out, a) why the slackware smp config didnt boot at all, not finding the root fs, and to the other side, why b) my everythingyes config, which all the time worked (also on 2.6.34.8), give so many problems with 2.6.39-rcX.

Pls find, enclosed, as the 2nd file, the successful config which is still running on my computer and didnt crash yet (entering with slackware huge smp into menuconfig end going out without changes). Also, as the 3rd file, is the difference of this to my everythingyes config used for -git2 to -git4; from tese differences it should be possible to find better what cause the many problems in the sense of comparison b) above.

However, I should mention, that this successful config has a problem with the grafics. On the laptop of my neighbour, it switched to a wrong text mode where the characters are little and 3 times on the top of the screen. And on my computer, I cannot change to the text screen with CTRL-ALT-F1 etc.

wl

---
Professional hosting for everyone - http://www.host.ru