Re: 2.6.38.4 broke my audio

From: Emmanuel Benisty
Date: Sun May 01 2011 - 07:19:39 EST

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> At Fri, 29 Apr 2011 09:25:08 +0100,
> Andrew Clayton wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 08:16:17 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>>
>> > OK, but now the patch assumes that it's a mutable output, so the
>> > auto-mute shall happen.
>> >
>> > Actually other OSes seem to mute the line-out as well, so we may
>> > follow the standard scenario.
>>
>> OK, so I guess the bit in the distribution that saves and restores
>> mixer settings at shutdown/startup needs updating to take this new
>> mixer into account? as the speaker mixer is always muted at startup
>> now.
>
> Right, it's the user-space stuff. ÂThe recent alsactl should do it
> right (adjust to the certain level for new control elements), I
> thought.
>
> Anyway, I'm inclined to revert the change once after figuring out
> what caused the issue on Emmanuel's machine.

Hi Takashi,

Sorry for the few days of silence. Attached is the output from your
latest patch with the debug patch.

Just one more thing (in case it may help), the output is not really
muted, there are some very short sounds/plops randomly appearing
between periods of silence when playing a file.

Thanks.