Re: re-enable Nehalem raw Offcore-Events support

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Sat Apr 30 2011 - 04:11:59 EST

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 10:17:04PM -0400, Vince Weaver wrote:
> > AMD managed to keep a large chunk of their events stable even across very
> > radical changes of the underlying hardware. I have two AMD systems produced
> > *10* years apart and they even use the same event encodings for the major
> > events.
>
> Well guess what, AMD family 15h changes all of that.

I don't see a big problem here, Robert has a patch that takes care of
counter constraints. It probably needs a bit more work but we'll get
where we need to be.

> And you're not going to like LWP. They got tired of waiting for a
> workable kernel perf counter interface and moved it completely to
> usersapce,

I don't know where you get your information but that's absolutely and
completely not nearly even beginning to smell the truth.

> and there's nothing you can do about it unless you start blocking the
> xsave patches from getting in.

Look at tip/x86/xsave, looks like LWP support will most likely be in
2.6.40.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.