Re: re-enable Nehalem raw Offcore-Events support

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Sat Apr 30 2011 - 03:14:56 EST

Hi Vince,

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 5:17 AM, Vince Weaver <vweaver1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But your argument isn't that.  Your argument is that you're blocking raw
> event access as some sort of punishment because us HPC people aren't
> providing patches for "generalized" events that we never plan to use.
> That's not a technical argument, that's some sort of weird power play.

That's not his argument at all and if you fail to see that you really
have no idea what the concept "working with the maintainer" means.

Yes, raw event access was reverted from 2.6.39 but that doesn't mean
it's blocked forever. If you want to keep pushing your feature, please
tone down your crazy-talk and start acting like a developer who's
genuinely interested in Linux, not on your own narrow, selfish goals.

I mean really, I haven't even had the pleasure of interracting a lot
with you and while I personally don't see the problem with raw event
access (if done in a well-thought out manner from ABI pov), you've
already managed to convince me that applying _any_ patch from you is a
bad idea because the baggage that comes with it is simply not worth
it.

If you want to alienate other developers, keep doing what you're doing
- otherwise consider changing your tactics. It's boring to watch you
repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

Pekka