Re: 2.6.39-rc5-git2 boot crashs

From: werner
Date: Sat Apr 30 2011 - 00:29:46 EST

For your information:
/ All these problems dont have with 2.6.38 , .1, .2, .3 , .4
/ At 2.6.38-rc1 or was it 37-rc1 there had a problem with khugepaged what I also reclaimed. That was similar like now these crashs which are NOT visible in syslog, happening a few minutes until hours after booting (these crashs should be visible in syslog 10..30 seconds before I rebooting). At that time, the problem was corrected with khugepaged. But it's possible, that the correction at that time wasn't good enough, so that now, after some other changes, the same problem 'returned'. Currently, since 2.6.39-rc1 it crashs ALWAYS if I zip or unzip files of some 100 M or move big files. It's possible that it is a problem with the memory administration.
/ I use gcc 4.3.3 and glibc 2.9
I hope this informations are useful for correct these problems.
wl

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 03:55:45 +0100
Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 07:47:14PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It looks like a NULL pointer dereference with offset 4, so at a guess,
> super->s_freeing_list.next is NULL, and it's the "next->prev = entry"
> instruction that faults when inserting into that list.
>
> How/why would s_freeing_list be NULL? I have no idea. But it looks
> like a failed mount, so presumably it was never initialized.

Hmm. super->s_freeing_list is initialized pretty late in
logfs_read_sb(), and any error path _before_ that point will result in
a "goto err1" in logfs_get_sb_device() which will do various iputs
etc. All without that list initialized. That would seem to be the
cause of this, possibly triggered by Al's changes to ->mount from
read_super.

Then it ought to be reproducible with much ealier kernels. Say, 2.6.37 or
so... That part of ->mount() series went in during last Autumn...

"werner" <w.landgraf@xxxxx>
---
Professional hosting for everyone - http://www.host.ru