Re: re-enable Nehalem raw Offcore-Events support

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 21:50:38 EST

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Borislav Petkov wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 06:42:27PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > "Thinking is hard, lets go shopping^W exporting raw ABIs."

> We're always bitching about Linux usability and now when it comes down
> to yet another case where this can be done right for a change, and perf
> people are trying to do something productive, you come waving hands
> loudly at Linus with revert requests instead of helping. This is as
> productive as trying to shoot yourself in the foot.

Have I proposed that the "perf" tool be changed at all?

No. Never.

I proposed that the interface to allow raw access to offcore events _not_
be disabled so that advanced tools can access it directly.

I don't care how perf works. Nor do I care how many pointless generic
events get added to the kernel (other than being annoyed about it taking
up extra bytes in my kernel image).

Reverting this patch would have absolutely no bearing on "perf", the
usability of perf, or anything that any normal user sees. I'm not sure
how the argument is even getting framed that way.

Vince