Re: re-enable Nehalem raw Offcore-Events support

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 12:50:17 EST

* Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:04:46AM -0400, Vince Weaver wrote:
> > Hello Linus
> >
> > can you revert the commit b52c55c6a25e4515b5e075a989ff346fc251ed09
>
> Acked-by: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I outlined my objections in my reply to Vince.

> (I wrote the original patch)
>
> > (finally!) added in the 2.6.39 merge window. However this is a useful
> > feature and many tools (including the PAPI performance counter library
> > that I work on) had added support for it in anticipation of the 2.6.39
>
> I also use some tools which benefit from this functionality. The extended raw
> events are very useful to analyze NUMA problems for once.

Mind sharing those methods and help generalizing them and help making them
useful to non-experts? Peter's patch which adds a 'NUMA' level to the cache
event abstractions could be a good start.

Only once generalization has been covered sufficiently, once we are sure we can
stick with the raw ABI, can we push that upstream.

Thanks,

Ingo