Re: [Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC] ARM DMA mapping TODO, v1

From: Thomas Hellstrom
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 08:07:33 EST

On 04/29/2011 01:26 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
On Thursday 28 April 2011, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
For PCI you can have the flag propagate from the PHB down, for busses
without a bus type (platform) then whoever instanciate them (the
platform code) can set that appropriately.
How can you do that when it changes mid-bus heirarchy? I'm thinking
of the situation where the DRM stuff is on a child bus below the
root bus, and the root bus has DMA coherent devices on it but the DRM
stuff doesn't.
But that's not PCI right ? IE. with PCI, coherency is a property of the
PHB...
That is my understanding at least, but I'd like to have a confirmation
from the DRM folks.

I believe that the PC graphics cards that have noncoherent DMA mappings
are all of the unified memory (integrated into the northbridge) kind,
so they are not on the same host bridge as all regular PCI devices,
even if they appear as a PCI device.

I think Jerome has mentioned at one point that the Radeon graphics cards support
non-coherent mappings.

Fwiw, the PowerVR SGX MMU also supports this mode of operation, although it being functional I guess depends on the system implementation.

/Thomas

Arnd