Re: [Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC] ARM DMA mapping TODO, v1

From: Thomas Hellstrom
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 06:57:20 EST

On 04/29/2011 09:35 AM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

We have problems with AGP and macs, we chose to mostly ignore them and
things have been working so-so ... with the old DRM. With DRI2 being
much more aggressive at mapping/unmapping things, things became a lot
less stable and it could be in part related to that. IE. Aliases are
similarily forbidden but we create them anyways.

Do you have any idea how other OS's solve this AGP issue on Macs?
Using a fixed pool of write-combined pages?

c) If neither of the above applies, we might be able to either use
explicit cache flushes (which will require a TTM cache sync API), or
require the device to use snooping mode. The architecture may also
perhaps have a pool of write-combined pages that we can use. This should
be indicated by defines in the api header.
Right. We should still shoot HW designers who give up coherency for the
sake of 3D benchmarks. It's insanely stupid.

I agree. From a driver writer's perspective having the GPU always snooping the system pages would be a dream. On the GPUs that do support snooping that I have looked at, its internal MMU usually support both modes, but the snooping mode is way slower (we're talking 50-70% or so slower texturing operations), and often buggy causing crashes or scanout timing issues since system designers apparently don't really count on it being used. I've found it usable for device-to-system memory blits.

In addition memcpy to device is usually way faster if the destination is write-combined. Probably due to cache thrashing effects.

/Thomas

Cheers,
Ben.

/Thomas