Re: EFF's Open Wireless Movement - solutions for Linux 802.11 APs

From: Gábor Stefanik
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 06:50:30 EST

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The EFF announced an effort and desire to promote open wireless
> networks instead of closed encrypted networks to help users with
> connectivity. They have come up with some alternative proposals and
> challenges which they are asking for review / help on. As far as Linux
> is concerned I've started a wiki [2] to cover what we can do for
> 802.11 Linux based APs. Feel free to extend the wiki as you see fit
> and / or subscribe for changes.
>
> [1] https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/04/open-wireless-movement
> [2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/OpenWirelessMovement
>
>  Luis
> --

While everyone seems to be talking about people abusing your open
networks to download child porn, there is another issue: on an open
network, not only can everyone connect - any user can also snoop on,
and/or inject fake data into, any other user's communication.
The solution could be creating a modified version of WPA that does
encryption, but not authentication (i.e. lets anyone join the network,
but prevents one user from snooping on another one).

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)