Re: [Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC] ARM DMA mapping TODO, v1

From: Thomas Hellstrom
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 01:51:35 EST

On 04/29/2011 02:29 AM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 15:37 -0400, Jerome Glisse wrote:
Jesse also pointed out space exhaustion inside the iommu and i believe
this should also be considered. This is why i believe the dma_* api is
not well suited. In DRM/TTM we use pci_dma_mapping* and we also play
with with page set_page*_uc|wc|wb.
Which are yet another set of completely x86-centric APIs that have not
been thought in the context of other architectures and are probably
mostly unimplementables on half of them :-)

Cheers,
Ben.

I've been doing some thinking over the years on how we could extend that functionality to other architectures. The reason we need those is because some x86 processors (early AMDs and, I think VIA c3) dislike multiple mappings of the same pages with conflicting caching attributes.

What we really want to be able to do is to unmap pages from the linear kernel map, to avoid having to transition the linear kernel map every time we change other mappings.

The reason we need to do this in the first place is that AGP and modern GPUs has a fast mode where snooping is turned off.

However, we should be able to construct a completely generic api around these operations, and for architectures that don't support them we need to determine

a) Whether we want to support them anyway (IIRC the problem with PPC is that the linear kernel map has huge tlb entries that are very inefficient to break up?)

b) Whether they are needed at all on the particular architecture. The Intel x86 spec is, (according to AMD), supposed to forbid conflicting caching attributes, but the Intel graphics guys use them for GEM. PPC appears not to need it.

c) If neither of the above applies, we might be able to either use explicit cache flushes (which will require a TTM cache sync API), or require the device to use snooping mode. The architecture may also perhaps have a pool of write-combined pages that we can use. This should be indicated by defines in the api header.

/Thomas