Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the cpufreq tree

From: Dave Jones
Date: Tue Apr 26 2011 - 21:32:31 EST

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:10:24AM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> After merging the cpufreq tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
> ppc64_defconfig) produced this warning:
>
> drivers/cpufreq/Kconfig:67:warning: choice value used outside its choice group
> drivers/cpufreq/Kconfig:75:warning: choice value used outside its choice group
> drivers/cpufreq/Kconfig:84:warning: choice value used outside its choice group
> drivers/cpufreq/Kconfig:93:warning: choice value used outside its choice group
> drivers/cpufreq/Kconfig:105:warning: choice value used outside its choice group
>
> I am not sure what has caused this. The only change in the cpufreq tree
> to that file is commit e002ba3328a2 ("[CPUFREQ] Move x86 cpufreq drivers
> to drivers/cpufreq/") which rearranged a few things but nothing obvious.

As the commit message suggests, per-arch cpufreq drivers are moving to drivers/cpufreq/
So far, I've only moved the x86 ones. As a side-effect of this, the
source "drivers/cpufreq/Kconfig" is no longer a per-arch thing, as it now gets
included from kernel/power/Kconfig.

I suspect the warnings are happening because on the unconverted archs, drivers/cpufreq/Kconfig
is now getting included twice. If you kill the 'source' line in kernel/power/Kconfig,
does this make things go back to normal ? (Check that cpufreq still shows up in
the resulting config afterwards)

If so, I'll make that change after all archs have moved their drivers.

Dave