Re: 2.6.39 Block layer regression was [Bug] Boot hangs with 2.6.39-rc[123]]

From: Christian Kujau
Date: Thu Apr 21 2011 - 14:30:23 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote on 2011-04-21 10:59 :
> As of right now, all _known_ block bugs should be fixed in the stuff I
> just pushed out, with the current top-of-tree being the merge of the
> IDE CD endless loop issue and the NULL ptr oops at elevator change
> time:

OK, thanks.

> That said, that udevd message of yours would imply a full root
> filesystem, which can cause any amount of issues at boot time..

My /dev is mounted as udev and is 10MB in size, which is more than
enough for kernels < 2.6.39. But with 2.6.39 something changed and
/dev/.udev/queue.bin is growing to 7 MB and more, udevd is spinning like
crazy and the OOM is reaping processes.

I'm currently in the middle of a bisect, with 11 steps to go on this
PowerBook G4 :-\

Thanks,
Christian.
--