Re: [RFC] NFC subsystem prototype

From: Lauro Ramos Venancio
Date: Thu Apr 14 2011 - 17:51:41 EST

Hi Harald,

2011/4/12 Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Lauro,
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 08:31:11PM -0300, Lauro Ramos Venancio wrote:
>
>> 2011/4/9 Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> > 0) why not create a general RFID subsystem instead of locking it down to
>> > Â NFC? ÂNFC is sort-of a superset of ISO 14443, so it would make more
>> > Â sense to have a generic framework that can support not only Mifare + NFC
>> > Â but all types of ISO 14443 (A / B) as well as ISO 15693. ÂThis would mean
>> > Â other applications like electronic ID cards and ICAO-compliant passports
>> > Â would fit into the picture - even though not being NFC
>>
>> The prototype supports ISO 14443 (A/B), MIFARE, Felica and Jewel. It's
>> straightforward to add ISO 15693 support. So I think it is possible to
>> support these applications using the NFC subsystem.
>
> Then I suggest renaming the system. ÂI think it is a bit confusing to call
> something NFC if in fact it is a way more generic RFID system for most common
> 13.56MHz based systems.
>
> In other words: NFC depends on ISO 14443, but ISO 14443 does not depend on NFC,
> so it would be a bit unconventional or unintuitive to use a NFC subsystem to
> talk with non-NFC ISO 14443 cards/transponders.

The boundary between NFC and RFID is not fully clear. This prototype
was developed based on NFC Forum documents. NFC Forum tags use all
these protocols (Jewel - Tag 1, Mifare - Tag 2, Felica - Tag 3,
ISO14443 - Tag 4).
My concern on renaming the subsystem is to ensure that its interface
is suitable also for the non-NFC Forum tags.

Regards,

Lauro Ramos Venancio
INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia