Re: [regression 2.6.39-rc2][bisected] "perf, x86: P4 PMU - Readproper MSR register to catch" and NMIs

From: Don Zickus
Date: Wed Apr 06 2011 - 20:17:14 EST

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 05:30:36PM -0500, Shaun Ruffell wrote:
> Hello Don,
>
> I was able to bisect it down to commit 242214f9c1eeaae40, but I'm not
> certain where to go from here. Is this something that is already known
> or is there more information I should try to collect?

Nope, this is an ongoing issue. What happened was the perf P4 nmi handler
was swallowing all the NMIs. My patch fixed that and exposed a double NMI
problem. We have been chasing it for a couple of months. I think Cyril
was finally able to duplicate it (as he wrote the P4 code). I have
confidence that he will find a fix for it soon. :-)

Thanks for the report though!

Cheers,
Don