Re: About lock-less data structure patches

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Tue Apr 05 2011 - 21:48:38 EST

* huang ying (huang.ying.caritas@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers
[snip]

> >> It seems hard to implement the
> >> dequeue_all,
> >
> > Actually, there is already one implemented :)
> >
> > See urcu-call-rcu.c: call_rcu_thread()
>
> Have not understand the whole algorithm fully. Will continue to study
> it. I found there is a synchronize_rcu() in call_crc_thread(). Must
> "dequeue_all" use that too?

Please note that call_rcu_thread() does more than just a dequeue_all: it
dequeues all the current callbacks from the list, waits for a grace
period to elapse, and then execute all the callbacks it got. So the
synchronize_rcu() would not be needed in a dequeue_all implementation.

> >> OK.  I will change the comments, adding these semantics explanation.
> >> The user should be warned :)
> >
> > Yes, that makes sense. After this generalization step, if you're ok with
> > this, we could aim at moving the implementation from a stack to a queue
> > and provide fifo semantic rather than lifo, so that other users (e.g.
> > call_rcu in the kernel) can start benefiting from it.
>
> I think that is good to move from stack to queue.
>
> I will send out changed lock-less data structure patchset soon. And
> we can continue to work on the new lock-less queue at the same time.

Sounds like a very good plan! Thanks!

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers