Re: [RFC/PATCH] of: Match PCI devices to OF nodes generically

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Mon Apr 04 2011 - 17:03:44 EST

On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 00:48 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 13:27:10 +1000
>
> > +struct device_node * __weak pcibios_get_phb_of_node(struct pci_bus *bus)
> > +{
> > + /* This should only be called for PHBs */
> > + if (WARN_ON(bus->self || bus->parent))
> > + return NULL;
>
> This WARN_ON() will always trigger on sparc, because we use the OF
> device tree object at the "parent" of the PCI bus devices we create
> for the PCI controller domains.
>
> I'm really surprised you don't link the PCI bus roots into the rest of
> the global device hierarchy on powerpc.

But in the above test bus->parent is the "struct pci_bus *" parent, not
the "struct device *" nor "struct device_node *" parent... That
shouldn't be linked to anything on a PHB.

To answer your other point, we do link PHBs on some platforms, not
others. Historical stuff here. Most of our platforms discover PCI
bridges very early from setup_arch() before we have any struct device
around. Mostly because that's how we always did and there's some
subtle/nasty corner cases to deal with if we change that.

Cheers,
Ben.