Re: [2.6.39-rc1] LTP hitting max (8) nested links...

From: Daniel J Blueman
Date: Mon Apr 04 2011 - 10:56:16 EST

On 4 April 2011 20:48, <Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 11:19:08 +0800, Daniel J Blueman said:
>
>> Re-reading everything, nested here is actually recursively nested, not
>> consecutively nested, so will never succeed, so we expect this from
>> the LTP test.
>
> We expect the LTP test to be handed an error, I suspect.  The LTP test
> probably shouldn't be able to provoke a BUG_ON.

In fact, since userspace does correctly return ELOOP [1], and I can't
reproduce it with 2.6.37, it does looks like a race in the RCU VFS
lookup, so adding Nick in the loop.

--- [1]

$ ln -s foo bar && ln -s bar foo
$ strace -e mkdir mkdir foo/a
mkdir("foo/a", 0777) = -1 ELOOP (Too many levels of
symbolic links)
mkdir: cannot create directory `foo/a': Too many levels of symbolic links
--
Daniel J Blueman