Re: Linux 2.6.33.8

From: Alexander Holler
Date: Mon Apr 04 2011 - 05:21:14 EST

Hello,

Am 02.04.2011 13:27, schrieb Carsten Emde:

I'm using a
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
This probably is not model 44; is it 26, 30 or 31?

Model 30, stepping 5. HT is enabled.

and can confirm some problem with power down, at least in 2.6.38.2.
Sometimes I only see the powerdown message but the machine will stay on
(and the fan starts getting louder).
[..]
Maybe it's a totally unrelated problem, but I thought it might be good
to mention that I'm having a problem with powerdown in 2.6.38 too.
Yes, thank you,

Would you mind to completely disable processor frequency scaling and
check whether the powerdown problem goes away on your system as well? I
do not know which distro you are using, but on some systems "chkconfig
cpuspeed off; reboot" would do the job. When the system then reboots,
"halt" should correctly power off the system.

I'm currently using F13, always with the latest stable vanilla kernel from kernel.org. No cpufreq-daemons or similiar are involved, just the governor "ondemand".

In regard to more detailed testing I can't say when I will find the time to do that. I'm using this machine regulary and the problem occurs only seldom (maybe 1 out of 5 shutdowns). So git bisect or similiar generic tests aren't very practical.

I will try to add some print statements, I assume native_machine_power_off() and stuff afterwards are the candidates where to do that.

Regards,

Alexander