Re: Minimum time slice for relaible Linux execution

From: Dario Faggioli
Date: Fri Apr 01 2011 - 04:06:24 EST

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 11:12 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 01:13:55PM +0100, limp wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have developed a framework similar to a hypervisor that switches between
> > Linux and a RT domain.
> > As RT priority is of highest importance, I want to give more time to the RT
> > domain *but* I also want to give Linux adequate time for being able to
> > operate.
> >
> I'm not sure there is any requirement. The only problem I guess that can
> happen is if you give such little time that the timer interrupt can't
> finish, or that every time you schedule Linux back in, the timer
> interrupt goes off and nothing else gets done.

Right. Moreover, what you're doing seems very very similar to what these
guys do: https://www.rtai.org/ , http://www.xenomai.org/ .

I've never checked if (and if yes how) they do such thing as you're
thinking, but maybe they do... Have you already looked at them?

Regards,
Dario

Dario Faggioli, ReTiS Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa (Italy)

http://retis.sssup.it/people/faggioli -- dario.faggioli@xxxxxxxxxx