Re: excessive kworker activity when idle. (was Re: vma corruption intoday's -git)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Mar 31 2011 - 11:59:11 EST

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's a recent change though, and I first saw this back in November.

So your November report said that you could see "thousands" of these a
second. But maybe it didn't use up all CPU until recently?

Especially if you have a high CONFIG_HZ value, you'd still see a
thousand flushes a second even with the old "delay a bit". So it would
use a fair amount of CPU, and certainly waste a lot of power. But it
wouldn't pin the CPU entirely.

With that commit f23eb2b2b285, the buggy case would become basically
totally CPU-bound.

I dunno. Right now 'trinity' just ends up printing out a lot of system
call errors for me. I assume that's its normal behavior?

Linus