Re: [RFC 2/2] Make x86 calibrate_delay run in parallel.

From: Yinghai Lu
Date: Thu Mar 31 2011 - 10:25:46 EST

On 03/31/2011 02:29 AM, Robin Holt wrote:
I don't see how this patch would affect that. Has this been tested on
a multi-core intel cpu? I will try to test it today when I get to the
office.

Yes. I tested on our 8 sockets 10 cores intel cpu system and 8 cores system.
looks getting correct result.

Additionally, it takes the bogomips value from being part of an output
line and makes it a separate line. On a 4096 cpu system, that will mean
many additional lines of output. In the past, we have seen that will
cause a considerable slowdown as time is spent printing. Fortunately,
that is likely not going to slow things down as a secondary cpu will
likely be doing that work while the boot cpu is allowed to continue with
the boot. Is there really a value for a normal boot to have this output?
Can we remove the individual lines of output and just print the system
BogoMips value?

that is easy. just update print_lpj.

static void __cpuinit print_lpj(int cpu, char *str, unsigned long lpj)
{
static bool printed;

if (printed)
return;

pr_info("CPU%d: Calibrating delay%s"
"%lu.%02lu BogoMIPS (lpj=%lu)\n", cpu, str,
lpj/(500000/HZ), (lpj/(5000/HZ)) % 100, lpj);

/* only print cpu0, and cpu1 */
if (cpu)
printed = true;
}

current printing is for debug purpose, So we don't need to waiting the booting get done.
just checking it serial console.

Thanks

Yinghai